Thursday, November 12, 2015

Sodium Sulfite – Food Preservative

Sodium Sulfite – Food Preservative
Sodium Sulfite – Food Preservative

I love snacks especially I have eaten it since I was a child in Taipei Taiwan. Every time, I see the snack (Crisp Broad Bean) on the shelf. I’ll buy it without questioning it because I remember the taste. One evening, my friends came to visit us. I ate a lots of the Broad Bean. After late evening, my friend left. I felt uncomfortable about my stomach. Then I recalled what I had eaten in that evening. The one I suspected was Broad Bean. I looked at the ingredients of the product. I found a chemical component that I was not familiar with it. It says it contains “Sodium Sulfite”. It could be the culprit that caused my stomach uncomfortable. Usually, our intestines move regular but we are not aware them moving unless it is too much and cause our digestion tract agitation.




Sulfites are food additives that help preserve freshness. Sodium sulfites in particular were commonly added to fresh produce and meats to help retain color. Sulfites in processed foods help to maintain color, prolong shelf life and prevent microorganism growth. Sodium sulfite, sodium bisulfite and sodium metabisulfite are part of a family of sulfites that have antioxidant properties that manufacturers add to foods and beverages to prevent oxidation -- a chemical process that spoils food.

Meat & Seafood

Deli meats, hot dogs and sausages contain sulfites. Fish and seafood with sulfites include canned clams, all types of shrimp, frozen lobster, scallops and dried cod.

Fruits

Dried fruits often contain sulfites to preserve their color. Fruit products that contain sulfites include canned, bottled and frozen fruit juices, glazed fruits, fruit toppings and maraschino cherries.

Vegetables

Vegetable juice, canned and dried vegetables, pickled vegetables, instant mashed potatoes, frozen potatoes and canned tomato products often contain sulfites.

Beverages

Most alcohols have sulfites, which are produced during the fermentation process. Instant tea, tea concentrates and cider also contain sulfites.

Population at Risk

Most sulfite reactions occur in people with asthma, according to a 1995 study in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition." Reactions in people without asthma are "extremely rare."

Foods to Avoid
Always read food labels to make sure the food is free of sulfites -- if the food item is sold in bulk, ask the seller to check the stock package for sulfite listings. Pay special attention to dried fruits and wines -- these are the most common foods preserved with sulfites. Asthmatics should always have their inhalers at hand when at restaurants. Because sulfites are still used on cut potatoes, don't order French fries or hash browns. A baked potato is a safer option, because it isn't cut until after cooking, eliminating the need for a sodium sulfite preservative.

Homemade foods prepared by a housewife are always your best choice! Don’t eat something that is not good for your body and your health especially foods with preservative that might cause cancer.



No comments: